Sunday, October 13, 2019

Simone Who?

Simone Biles. That's all.


Growing up I was a pretty energetic kid and my parents didn't know what to do with all of my energy. They placed me in a recreational gymnastics class and from that point on I never stopped loving the sport. I was a competitive gymnast my whole life starting at the age of six and going all the way up to my senior year of high school. I have won multiple state and regional titles during my career, but nothing compares to Simone Biles. At first I didn't know who she was, we just ended the 2012 Olympics and the U.S national team took home the gold. Now we were back to watching smaller elite competitions. In 2013 Biles won her first gold medal and it took off from there. After her win, my gymnastics gym back home was able to host her and have her speak to us. This was a life changing experience. Not only was she so humble, but she was able to give us advice about the sport in general and how to balance school and gymnastics while maintaining your grades.

Since 2013, Biles has won 24 world medals and most of them were gold. She just competed in Stuttgart, Germany at World's where she won in all-around, vault, beam and floor. As a previous gymnast, this is unheard of. When you watch her perform, you don't even believe she's human. Biles may have won 24 medals, but she now has multiple skills named after her and those include two on floor, one on beam and one on vault.

Simone Biles has also done so much for the young girls who are afraid to speak up for themselves. She is an avid speaker for the Me Too movement because she is a survivor of Larry Nassar who sexually abused her. She has asked USAG to change their ways and they are changing slowly but she wants more to happen so that the sport can be safe for everyone. Since she has such a large following, she is able to have her voice heard more and people are able to stand with her and support her. 

Above is the article about her recent medals!

Image result for simone biles stuttgart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our not so private life

Thoughts on Privacy After watching the Ted Talks that were linked to our class for today I was very intrigued by one certain video. Th...